Romans 8:14 “For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.”
Although she had been asking him for years, he had just now given in and for the first time attended his mother’s church. He couldn’t believe he was actually there, to him this Christianity thing was an archaic expression of times, fables and myths. Religion had no place in his modern society when weighed against all the latest technology and achievements in science. The technology present in his cell phone alone allowed him to advance into the future with no need of digging up the past. His phone alone could connect him to almost anywhere in the world. Even the Global Positioning System in his car had more power than this church service or his mother’s worn-out Bible or diligent prayers. He proved that this morning when he didn’t know the location of her church. So he programmed the address into the Global Positioning System and followed directions. His GPS asked him if he wanted the shortest route or the scenic one. He choose the shortest one, hoping to get there, make his mother happy and get out.
As the church service progressed, he nervously glanced at his watch in anticipation of the close of the service. However, this edginess slowed down as something unexpected began to happen. As the minister shared the love of Christ and God’s plan of salvation, a peace started to surround him. As the appeal song proclaimed the words of “I Surrender All,” he felt as if someone had put their hand on his shoulder—he figured his mother must have known that something was happening inside him and was comforting him. However, as he turned, he saw his mother on her knees praying and there was no one else close to him. He still felt the hand and now sensed a presence there with him.
He heard soundless words turn over in his mind saying, “God, I don’t know what’s happening to me and I don’t have a clue what direction you’re taking me—why don’t you have a heavenly GPS so I can get my bearings?” That’s when he heard a still small voice saying, “Oh but I do have one, however; there are no shortest routes and sometimes the road gets rough and rocky. Here are my spiritual GPS directions for you.”
- First, start your trip by kneeling at the foot of the cross.
- Next, surrender your life at the crossroads of the shed blood of Christ and conversion.
- Then, you must stop at the first sign of sin, admit that you’ve sinned and ask for forgiveness.
- Now, make the right turn at the corner of Spirit and truth.
- As you proceed, Truth will begin to merge into commitment.
- Once on commitment, prepare to go over bridges of adversity by trusting in God’s GPS (God’s Plan of Salvation)
- Next, make the right turn onto the highway of Holiness, which will lead you to eternal life in Christ.
- This highway of Holiness will take you through the valley of decision where you must take a leap of faith, hold on to your anchor of hope and spread His unconditional love.
- If you’ve followed God’s GPS (God’s Plan of Salvation) and gone the right direction, then you will arrive at your destinations, first salvation and finally the portals of heaven and the eternal presence of God.
When you arrive you comprehend that Jesus didn’t say “I’ll show you the way, I’ll tell you the truth or I’ll teach you about life.” He said, “I am the way the truth and the life. He didn’t tell Mary and Martha, “I’m here to resurrect Lazarus.” “He said I am the resurrection.”
You can’t use a Tom Tom GPS to get to heaven, however you can use God’s GPS (God’s Plan of Salvation) by allowing Him to lead, guide and direct you every step of the way.